This is a specialized technical position, which includes analyzing physical latent evidence submitted for evaluation, comparison, identification, and verification of impressions such as fingerprints, palm prints, and footprints. This position will also operate the AFIS latent station, and AFIX local station and maintain all fingerprint files.
The duties for this position include the following:
- Thoroughly know, understand, and ensure compliance with Agency policy and procedures.
- Evaluate all latent prints submitted to determine comparative quality as well as AFIX and AFIS quality.
- Compare and identify latent impressions to known suspects.
- The entry, comparison, and identification of latent prints into AFIX and AFIS
- Verify latent identifications for the Sumter County Sheriff's Office and other agencies when needed.
- Generate reports on all latent comparisons and identifications
- Provide expert testimony in criminal courts as to all latent findings when requested
- Provide certified copies of fingerprints as requested by various law enforcement personnel.
- Conduct name checks on individuals to see if they have fingerprints on file.
- Maintain the local fingerprint database to include removing individuals when court-ordered.
- Maintain the adult, juvenile, deceased, and elimination fingerprint and palm print files.
- Take elimination fingerprints, palm prints, and footprints when requested.
- Assist in the training of taking quality fingerprints when requested.
- Complete orders from the court to roll fingerprints and palm prints to identify to arrest and prison records as needed.
- Classify Prints when needed.
- Handle confidential matters without compromising confidentiality.
- Perform any additional duties required by the Sheriff or through necessity of situations.